In this episode, Karen and Kathleen interview Lisa Simone Richards about how to leverage free media coverage for your business with Lisa Simone Richards. Lisa is a visibility strategist for health, fitness, and wellness entrepreneurs and has helped many of her clients skyrocket to new heights.
Lisa’s “ABCs” of Publicity
- Awareness – People can’t work with you if they don’t know who you are!
- Buzz – Stand out from the crowd! (Become an industry celebrity or “go-to” right away.)
- Credibility – Show your potential clients that you are really good at what you do!
How to Start Developing Free Publicity
- Have a healthy media mix. We all choose different ways to get our news/information, ask your best three clients how they get their information. From there make sure you are on all of those media platforms or start researching who could be a good contact to get you there.
- Once you have found those contacts, (Twitter, Google, LinkedIn) be really focused on developing those relationships.
- Think about doing contributed content for already established blogs, websites.
- Try and get featured on a podcast or a radio station.
- Start doing Facebook Live and YouTube content to practice your video skills.
- Television and Video!
How To Pitch for Publicity
- Come up with a compelling story idea to pitch, make your business be part of a larger story/conversation.
- Find the right contacts for the type of media outlet you’re reaching out to.
- Understand different “Lead Times”. (The time it takes from being an idea to actually being published.)
Media begets media. Once you get a piece of media coverage, share it everywhere. Because that will open up the doors for more publicity opportunities in the future.
Action Item: Pick ONE outlet you really want to be featured in. Create a private Twitter list with contacts from that outlet. Check it once a day and start building those relationships.